Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Forbidden Fruit

Nothing says summer like a bowl brimming with fresh picked tomatoes. This week, thanks to my farm share, our kitchen is home to many forms of tomatoey goodness, including some gorgeous tomatillos. Sadly, for me, I cannot eat a one. Well...should not, at least. In recent years, I've developed some significant issues with acid reflux--I once lost my voice due to the condition--and this longtime favorite food is now verboten.

When we brought home these yellow cherry tomatoes this afternoon, I discovered one had burst at the bottom of the bag. I handed it to my fiance to be eaten immediately. He hummed with delight as he chewed, declaring that the amazing fruit took him right back to childhood days when he picked tomatoes right off the vine from his grandmother's garden. I'm going to eat one, I said, thinking of my own garden-picking days, only to be further enabled by my fiance's response. You should.

I did. And it was glorious.


No comments:

Post a Comment