Saturday, February 27, 2010

Winter Blues

Last summer marked the end of out-of-season berries for me. After devouring a few pints of sweet, local strawberries from the Copley Square farmers market, I just couldn't fathom eating colorless, tasteless fruit shipped all the way across the country. Such berries aren't good for the planet or the palate. Much better to dream of sweet perfection through the cold winter months and enjoy that brilliant taste of spring when it finally comes.

Yesterday, however, I discovered a large bag of frozen, organic blueberries in my freezer. I have no idea when or why I purchased said blueberries, but as a cold, dreary rain fell outside my winter window I felt my spirits lift a little. What to do with this accidental bounty? The clear choice: muffins. After a few minutes gathering ideas on the internet, I put together a recipe that turned out warm, blue, and delicious. Only one thing could make it better, and I can't wait to make these again when the blueberries are big, fresh, and plentiful. Perhaps this year I'll grab a few extra pints and freeze them myself, preserving a little taste of locally-grown sunshine to combat the February blahs. In the meantime, I would make them again with apple pieces, dried fruit, or sans fruit altogether. There's nothing bad about a cinnamon oatmeal muffin, after all!

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins

Ingredients
1/2 c all purpose flour
3/4 c whole wheat flour
1 c oatmeal
1/2 c brown sugar, packed
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c water
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 T vanilla
1 c blueberries (thawed and drained if frozen)
2 t sugar
1/2 t cinnamon

Directions
Preheat oven to 400.

In large bowl, mix first 8 ingredients. In small bowl, mix egg, water, oil, and vanilla. Add this mixture to the first bowl and stir until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Spoon into greased muffin tins filling each cup about 2/3 of the way.

Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the tops. Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy, preferably while they're still warm! They also make a delicious next-day breakfast: warm them over in the toaster, top with plain yogurt and drizzle with honey. Heaven on a plate.

1 comment:

  1. Woah, great minds think alike! I made almost these exact same muffins last weekend--with whole wheat flour and oats--the only difference in recipes was that mine called for a little bit of lemon zest. It made a ton, so I threw some in the freezer--hopefully they'll defrost okay next time I'm ready for more blueberry muffins.

    ReplyDelete