Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Root of the Root

This week, fall officially arrived in my ever-fabulous farm share from Red Fire Farm. In addition to some wonderful greens and winter squash, we got to pick from an astounding assortment of root veggies, many of which are new to me. Along with some lovely onions, we stocked up on parsnips, turnips, daikon and celeriac (that would be the lumpy, rather unappetizing orb hanging out front and center in the photo above). While I've eaten my share of parsnips and turnip (and maybe daikon, according to some vague memories from my youth), I have never actually cooked with any of them at home. And celeriac? Well, your guess is as good as mine.

Happily, all of these new veggies mean I get to have an extra experimental week in the kitchen. Hopefully I'll devise some winning recipes to share...and if you have your own fabulous root preparations, please do send them along!

2 comments:

  1. You should check out cookstr.com.
    You can punch in any ingredient(s) you want to cook with and you'll get recipe ideas. There were some for celeriac, too. Have fun cooking! :)
    ~Mattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should check out cookstr.com.
    You can plug in any ingredient(s) you want to cook with and it'll supply you with some recipes! (It even has celeriac recipes) Happy cooking!
    ~Mattie

    ReplyDelete